DIY solutions for health and home
Ever have a problem and just can’t seem to find the right solution? Many products made for mass distribution are watered down and filled with unnecessary ingredients. It can be extremely cost effective to make simple DIY solutions for health and home to solve a multitude of problems. And I have personally found, they work MUCH better!
What brand of essential oils are best?
This can be a very heated debate on what is the right answer. I believe there are several great companies out there. Some have high quality products but don’t have the best distribution methods, in my personal opinion. So, if I had to choose one company to recommend, it would be Plant Therapy. You can find more info on them here.
Why use amber bottles for DIY solutions
- It gives better UV protection. Amber bottles can filter out blue and ultraviolet light. The problem with blue bottle is that they allow the blue light in and this is not good for essential oils, skin care products or for wine and beer. When you protect the ingredients from the harmful rays, the products, you are extending the shelf life of the ingredients.
- Why Glass? Glass is easier to recycle then plastic and more importantly, no harmful chemicals from the plastic can leach into your products. It is said that 60% of what we apply to our skin is absorbed into the bloodstream. While glass may not be preferred by some, it is an eco-friendly choice that also protects you from chemicals that can be found in some plastic materials.
- Amber bottles are less expensive. Amber bottles offer a more competitive price over blue and clear bottles of which offer little protection from the light that may penetrate it. I love this amber bottle variety pack and these jars for creams and scrubs
DIY Bug away solution
Protect yourself naturally from mosquitoes, black flies and ticks with Fly Away Bug Spray. An essential oil based repellent in a suspension of witch hazel, isopropyl alcohol and water. The oils used were carefully selected and have been proven to repel common pests. Lemongrass and citronella are notorious for their ability to deter mosquitoes, black flies hate lavender and geranium oil is proving itself to be extremely effective at keeping ticks away. Take back your campfire, garden or yard without exposing yourself to harmful chemicals. Shake well and spray liberally on skin, clothing and shoes.
Caution: Not for children
Read more about growing your own herbs here
Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe (Borax-Free)
I’ve been using this laundry detergent recipe for years and I’m so happy with it. It’s affordable, easy to make, and it’s worked beautifully for my family.
- cheese grater
- food processor
- 4 cup washing soda
- 3 bars of bars of 4 ounce soap, finely grated ( Can also use approximately one pound of soap flakes.)
- 2 cups Molly’s Suds Natural Oxygen Whitener (optional)
- 100-150 drops lemon essential oil (optional) I prefer to add a few drops to each load, deepening on what I’m washing to mix it up a bit
To Make Homemade Laundry Detergent
- Grate the soap with a cheese grater.
- Add the grated soap, washing soda and Whitener plus essential oil (if using) to your food processor.
- Blend until you have a fine powder. You may want to lay a dish towel over the top of your food processor to prevent a fine mist of powder from floating into the air. Also, let it settle a bit before opening the container or the powder will float onto your kitchen counter.
- Pour into a clean, airtight container.
To Use Your Homemade Laundry Detergent (Top Loading Machine)
- Add 3 tablespoons laundry detergent per load. This scoop is perfect. If you are washing in cold water, dissolve it in hot water before adding it in.
Be sure to check your owner’s manual – using certain types of laundry products in your HE machine may void your warranty.
HOMEMADE VANILLA EXTRACT
- 6 whole vanilla beans
- 1 cup vodka
- Cut vanilla beans in half, lengthwise. Cut the beans in 1/2 or 1/3 if need be to fit your jar
- Put the beans in an 8oz jar, cover with vodka. Screw on the lid and give it a good shake
- Place the jar in a cool dark place and let sit for at least 2 months.The longer the jar sits, the stronger the flavor. Give the jar a shake every week or so